Holi 2019 – Keep your skin, eyes and hair safe with Ayurveda
Dr. Partap Chauhan, Director, Jiva Ayurveda
No country in the world celebrates spring as extravagantly as India does. From Holi to Vasant Utsav to Bihu, the entire nation celebrates spring with great pomp and joy. While you enjoy the festival of colours, make sure that your skin remains protected. Here are some simple Ayurvedic tips:
- A day before Holi, apply mustard oil all over the body. Apply generously over the face, hands and legs as these are exposed areas where colour will be thrown. This will keep your skin protected and also allow you to remove the colours with ease.
- On your hair apply plenty of coconut oil. This acts as a protecting agent and prevents colours from penetrating deep into the roots.
- Alternatively you can also use a lotion. This is also very effective in keeping yourself clear of colours later, and will clean even the strongest of colours.
Steps to protect eyes and mouth
If dry colour gets into your eyes quickly rinse it with water. On the day of Holi keep washing your eyes regularly with water. Apply some rose water in your eyes and lie down. This will relax your eyes.
Remedies for skin allergies
Most colours available in the market today are chemical-based and unsafe. Prefer organic colours; in case you observe rashes on your skin, follow these simple tips:
- If the colour has been applied by rubbing it in. It is best to use face wash instead of soap to remove it. Be gentle while washing as this process can harm your skin.
- Before going out to play holi soak some multani mitti for about an hour. Once you are done, apply the multani mitti on affected areas. This will prevent rashes in the future.
- One good home remedy is to mix gram flour, sweet oil and milk cream in rose water. Once you have a thick paste apply it on your face, hand and legs. Once the paste dries, rub it away. This is a good way to cure rashes.
Ayurveda preparations for removing hard colours
Some colours are prepared from harmful substances like acids, glass and strong chemicals which are hard to remove. The following are a few home remedies which will help in removing these strong chemicals.
- Take half a bowl of curd in two spoons of lime juice. Apply it on the areas having colour and take a bath with lukewarm water.
- Ubtan (cream) is another good remedy for removing holi
- Avoid scrubbing your skin too hard, our skin gets sensitized when synthetic colour makes contact. This will aggravate skin condition further making it worse.
- Avoid going out in the sun after all the festivities.