Mr. Neeraj Lal (Vice President and Cluster Head Rainbow Children’s Hospital, Bangalore and Karnataka Region)
Mr. Neeraj Lal
(Vice President and Cluster Head Rainbow Children’s Hospital, Bangalore and Karnataka Region)
Tell us about your journey so far into healthcare since inception?
- I started my healthcare journey 18 years ago with graduation from PGI Chandigarh and post-graduation from prestigious Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) Mumbai.
- Have worked as the Group Chief Operating Officer of the Sunshine Global Group of Hospitals based out of Gujaratand have held senior positions in various Indian Hospitals for a number of years including private , trust and corporate sets ups.
- I am one among the four Indian individual members of the International Society for Quality in Healthcare (ISQua) based out of Dublin and also an approved Surveyor for ISQua’s International Accreditation Programme.
- Won various awards and prestigious positions to my credit-
- Received the Award of Excellence for “Outstanding Contribution in Healthcare Sector” by North Gujarat University, Patan (2011).
- Winner of the Prestigious “Aikat Memorial Gold Memorial Gold Medal” for the Best Outgoing Student of P.G.I.Chandigarh (1996).
- Healthcare expert with New York based On Frontiers in operations, quality, business and management of hospitals and medical institutions.
- Guest faculty with many Indian Universities and Business schools for teaching programs in Hospital Administration & healthcare quality.
- Likes mentoring start-ups and help them understand the detailing of healthcare
You have vast knowledge of running big hospitals successfully, where many hospitals are taking oxygen for survival. What is your strategy & key to success?
Hospitals are very complex organizations to run as they are labor and capital-intensive.Generaly strategy should be to run operationally optimum depends on following actions-
- Good asset control
- Employee engagement
- Consultant liasoning
- Ensureoutsourced services are trusted to companies familiar with healthcare.
- Quality healthcare scenario and culture in hospital
As you are running single specialty for mother & child, how this is different from multi specialty. Share your experience?
Yes running single super specialty mother and child is very different from running conventional multispecialty hospitals.
During two decades of service in the field of childcare, hospital have gathered first-hand knowledge on the significance of the first 1000 days of life. That is why at Rainbow Children’s Hospital and BirthRight conceptualized the 1000-day program to spread awareness and assist mothers-to-be in bringing up a generation of healthy children.
Rainbow recognize that childbirth is one of life’s major events, sometimes complicated, but mostly a natural process involving intense emotions and physical experiences; an event which profoundly changes people’s lives, and which can, and should be, very fulfilling for both the mother and father.
Rainbow is the Pediatric Superspeciality Powerhouse; its Pediatric Intensive Care Unit treats more than 1000 critically ill children annually, in collaboration with various pediatric subspecialties such as Neurology, Nephrology, Hematology, Pediatric Surgery etc. and has the largest number of children managed on High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation in the country.
Rainbow launched its Perinatal Centre for Women with the sole aim of gifting soon-to-be mothers a safe, secure and happy motherhood especially in high risk pregnancy cases. With state-of-the-art labor rooms attached with Maternity ICU.
Rainbow has initiated high end LDRP Suites (Labor, delivery, recovery, postpartum suites) the first of its kind in South India.
Rainbow is also known for the least possible surgical interventions and pave way for natural birthing.Pediatric Tertiary Care Centres of Rainbow located across 11 locations, six in Hyderabad, two in Vijayawada, two in Bengaluru and one in Delhi and now one in Chennai that provides care right from birth through adolescence. Our goal is to provide comprehensive pediatric healthcare for your child all under one roof.
Collectively, facilities make Rainbow leaders in critical care delivery for sick children with excellent clinical success rates at par with international standards, making us amongst the best pediatric critical care centers.
What challenges are there to run such hospital from competitor and patient prospective?
These days because of accreditations, regulations and manpower shortage hospitals are running in very challenging situations. Some of them include-
- Employee turnover
- Consultant expectations
- Data collection & data privacy
- Convincing consumers for delivering best healthcare
- Technology update and people interaction
- Price conscious market including managing government schemes and TPS/Insurance business
- Aggressive competition
Please elaborate the modern ultra hi-tech facilities available at Rainbow hospital?
Rainbow Children’s Hospital and Birthright by Rainbow is a Paediatric tertiary care Hospital that handles all the mother and paediatric specialties ranging from Paediatric Endocrinology to Paediatric neurology and Paediatric Oncology. With 18 glorious years of excellence in child and mother care, Rainbow Children Hospital is now the India’s largest network of child care hospitals and one of the leaders in Paediatric and Perinatal health care with 1000+ beds, 10 Hospitals across India, having 2 centres in Bangalore, Karnataka.
How is Rainbow Unique place for children’s ?
- Largest NICUin private setup in the country with more than 50 beds treating pre term babies from 24 weeks and doing retrievals from as far as 400 kms in specialised ambulance NICU on wheels. We are proud to deliver smallest baby in south East Asia with weight as low as 350 gms.
- NICU has state of heart High end equipment incl HFO( High Frequency Oscillator) , i NO ( Nitric Gas) delivery system , Giraffe Omni Bed High incubators ( Artificial Mother’s womb) , Lulby Phototherapy ( for treating jaundice) , Billy Blanket ( for jaundice) ,High end warmers, transport incubators cum ventilators ( for safe transport) , SLE Ventilators.
- Largest PICU in private set up in the country with more than 40 beds treating most complex cases mixes and baby with burns. Centre Of excellence for Burns which have saved children with more than 60 % burns.
- Advanced Paediatrics Cancer Centre with Bone marrow transplantation unit.
- Advanced Child Development Centre in the country with Keto Clinic.
- Centre for Paediatrics Diabetes.
- Largest Centre in the country for Cerebral Palsy with Gait Lab and Paediatrics Orthopaedics facility.
- Only exclusive Paediatrics Kidney transplant centre in the country having completed more than 10 successful transplant till date and Advanced Nephrology with CRRT, SLED, IHD, Plasmapheresis and MARS which have dealt complex nephrology cases and renal failures with successful kidney transplants.
- Advanced Sleep Lab for Children’s
- All Paediatric Super Specialties including Paediatrics Surgery ,GI Surgery, Pulmonology, Rheumatology etc. under one roof